N. 9th Street, Nashville: 1/27/06
Home buyers home inspector reported microbial growth around the window unit and the wall above the fireplace.
Also found mold on the floor system under the carpet the location of the window unit and above the water heater that was located in the crawlspace. Water runs down and all areas around the visual mold has to be checked.
Over the fireplace once the wall was sprayed the paint pealed off indicating the moisture had penetrated the drywall, removed the drywall and exposed the brick chimney and cleaned all the brick and mortar joints accordingly. The framing members on both sides of the chimney was deteriorated and had to be removed. We were able to clean and save the old mantle to be reused.
The window unit had to be condemmed and disposed of because of contamination, we had to remove the baseboard, drywall, window stool and trim to expose the framing members for cleaning. Pulled back the carpet and the hardwood was also contaminated to the point we had to remove that section of hardwood. And surprisingly there was a second layer of hardwood that had to be removed back to the original floor decking. Cleaned the floor decking as well as both layers of hardwood that had been removed so it could be reused to save home buyer material cost to replace.
No upfront testing was performed on this home since it was vacant and visual mold was present.
Confirmation from the Lab that remediation was successful.
NOTE: EPA Mold Guideline Booklet “A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home” states on page 13, In most cases, if visible mold growth is present, sampling is unnecessary. Unless health issues are present AMS chooses to save the funds for upfront testing and apply them to the final to reassure all parties there is no longer elevated levels.